Friday, September 21, 2007

Tales of a Female Nomad

If you are anything like me, you have an intense passion for traveling and, if it were at all possible, would do so for the rest of your life. Rita Golden Gelman is doing just that. In her memoir, "Tales of a Female Nomad: Living at Large in the World", Rita journals her fantastic journey across the world. From Mexico to New Zealand, she conquers the world...all by herself!
After a divorce, Rita finally sees an opportunity to do what she's always wanted to do, travel the world. Shying away from the tourist spots Rita makes it a point to live and experience the day-to-day lives of the natives, a wise choice that only made her journey more valuable. She states in an interview, “I like to stay in one place long enough to become a part of a community.” This is an important piece of advice for all travelers. Rita believes there is strong distinction between being a tourist and being a traveler...Rita, of course, being the latter of the two.
While reading this fantastic story the idea that women should avoid traveling alone began to diminish. If Rita can do it, why can’t we all?! Of course, being safe and listening to your conscience are the most important things to keep in mind when traveling. I have had the opportunity to travel a great deal, primarily in groups, but I have found that the most unforgettable experiences were being able to go off and explore on my own. The ability to choose my own path and see what I want to see is one of the most empowering feelings. Rita’s strength to grab life by the horns is extremely inspirational. In an interview, she claims she has no idea where she’ll be in a year from now, there are not many people who can say that.
At 64, Rita has no intention of ending her travels anytime soon. From her years of roaming the earth Rita has learned that “There is joy in opening up to the world and in reaffirming the oneness of humanity. And age frees us from many daily responsibilities; we have no excuses to put off pursuing our dreams.”






4 comments:

mags said...

That sounds like a great book. I love traveling though I always am with a group since I'm only fourteen. Rita sounds like an amazing woman! The tourist versus traveler distinction is a good point, although I usually end up leaning toward the former. Still, I would love to do something like what she does, even if it's only for a couple months someday. (I hate feeling like a silly tourist!) I will take a look for her memoir.

Anonymous said...

wow! That sounds like a very interesting book. I am only 11, so I have been on vacations and such just with my family. My family is very lucky to have the opportuinity to go to Hawaii 3 times! Some of us in my family were also able to go to china. That sounds like a very interesting book. I'll be sure to look for it.

Anonymous said...

please post more often!!!!!! i love to read it!!!!thanks!!!!

Anonymous said...

MY MOM READ THIS BOOK AND SAID IT WAS GREAT!! I WANT 2 READ IT 2