Thursday, April 26, 2007

Take Back The Night

For the past month and a half I have been on the planning committee for our local Take Back the Night event. The planning has come to an end and the event is tonight! Here is the history of Take Back the Night from www.takebackthenight.org

Take Back the Night’s roots may lie in 1877 when women protested the fear and violence they experienced in the night-time streets of London, England.


Others believe that the first rally occurred in 1976 when women attending the International Tribunal on Crimes Against Women lit candles and took to the moonlit streets of Belgium to denounce the continuation of violence against women. While the origins of Take Back the Night may be disputed, its impact is undeniable. Since its inception, thousands of marches and rallies bearing the name Take Back the Night have taken place worldwide.


Earlier this afternoon, our mayor proclaimed today as "Take Back the Night Day" in Duluth, MN and as he was reading the proclamation, tears began to well up in my eyes. At that moment I truly realized how signifigant tonight's event is. Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE should have the right to live their lives free from violence, harassment and abuse.


And so, I go into this night knowing I will be busy helping to keep the event running smoothly. But, I also know that it will be very emotional as I walk through the streets of my town letting MY voice be heard, telling the world that I have a RIGHT to be safe.

No comments: